Monday, December 30, 2013

yo, i'm doing this again because it's fun. wheee!

To make it even more interesting, I'm gonna compare it with last year's answers, to see how far I've come~ because, ya know, I'm thoughtful and pensive and great that way. WHEEE.



1. WHERE DID YOU BEGIN 2013?


2013 started with me staring out of a friend's balcony, looking at the fireworks in the sky. Slightly classier compared to last year, at least this time I had some drinks to keep me company.



In the bottomless pit of self-pity.... no, wait, that was 2011. 2012 started out with me staring out of my friend's window in my pajamas. Wishing upon every firework that comes shooting across the sky that my year will get better and that I will be stronger. (cieh)



2. WHAT DID YOU DO IN 2013 THAT YOU'D NEVER DONE BEFORE?

Wow, this year actually passed by in a blur. 2012 seems very wild in comparison.



.... wow, still nothing. If it counts, I definitely feel more... free this year. I finally broke out of one toxic relationship that's been going on for the last 3 years and strengthen my bonds with friends and family. Career-wise, I definitely took more plunges than I ever did before. What else? I joined a zumba class, does that count? Oh, I also drank for the first time in front of my family. That only took a few years...



Drowned 5 tequilas in a row and chugged beer like a truck driver, got a proper wedding date (shuddup this is special for me okay, it's not about, "omg omg my crush is asking me out on a date!!!", it's nothing like that. I've never experienced the excitement of getting ready for a proper date, with the guy picking me up and everything), wrote my own story, ate "brownies" and got high for the first time (yes, at 25, I'm a late bloomer), got out of my comfort zone by working for a serious consulting company, kissed a dude for a dare in front of colleagues (... what is it with me and embarrassing myself this year?), kissed a gay dude for the same dare (in my defense, HE forced himself on me, not the other way around), went to a muay thai class.



Er, all in all... basically I let loose this year? Like a cannon?



3. DID YOU KEEP YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS, AND WILL YOU MAKE MORE FOR NEXT YEAR?

Look at all those 2013 resolutions that I didn't do! Okay then, same resolutions for 2014. At least I'm happier this year, and definitely feel braver.



Okay, I don't usually do new year's resolutions. Even if I do, they're very vague. Be a stronger person, learn more, read more, dance more. I did promise to learn to drive and I never did. Hope that can change this year.



For 2013, I'd like to:



- Take a yoga class. I gotta find out what the big deal is with that shit. Or if it fails, I'll take muay thai since I liked it the last time around. (And for the love of God, let me please stick with it all year-long and go regularly. I need to be healthier.)



- Be more religious and reaffirm my faith. It always makes me feel good whenever I do my prayers, so why shouldn't I do it more regularly?



- Be more fearless, like for example in dancing. I'm not a very good dancer okay, I'm awkward with my body. But I enjoy doing it, so really, why the hell not?



- Apply more makeup, not in an excessive way, just in a "hey-look-I-can-be-hella-sexy" way to remind people I'm 26, not 17.



- Give more. I'm not trying to be a saint here, but I feel like I haven't given back as much as I should. So, yeah, will definitely do more of that.



- Finish writing my story, actually get a driving license, cook/bake more, travel more, read read read more books and watch watch watch more movies, and go to more concerts. Because concerts are rad.



- Make a relationship work. I'm not incapable of loving, just channeling it the wrong way.



4. DID ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU GIVE BIRTH?

Yup, isn't it the same every year? My best friend's wife gave birth... then another one... then another one... it's like everybody and their mother decided to pop one out this year.



Not close to me per se, just semi-close to me. Ex interns at ELLE. Dude, these girls are way younger than me and they're already giving birth.... while I'm.... (let's not go there).



5. DID ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU DIE?

Not close to me personally, but my best friend's dad. Also, can we talk about how many celebrity deaths there were this year? And we're not even done yet. Wow.



Yes. My grandmother and my dad's elder brother.



6. DID YOU KNOW ANYBODY WHO GOT MARRIED?

A longtime crush. Couldn't be happier, though, because it's not a matter of closure anymore. When I walked up that stage to give him my congratulations, he actually grasped both of my hands and looked so thankful that I came to his wedding. It was a beautiful moment.



Dude, it's like everybody and their mom got married this year.



7. HOW DID YOU EARN YOUR MONEY?

Still the same as last year, though this time I'm having way more fun. Working in a magazine is definitely my calling. (I do a little stripping on the side too - kidding.)



Pointing out people's grammatical mistakes. I'm a grammar Nazi that way. Aside from that, doing what I actually love - writing.



8. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE IN 2014 THAT YOU LACKED IN 2013?

Aw, I did feel content in 2013. Mission accomplished. Of course, there were ups-and-downs, but mostly ups. Couldn't have asked for better relationships this year. As for the one thing I'd like to have in 2014... someone to call home, maybe? (Don't laugh, I'm already laughing at myself)



Contentment. I asked for happiness in 2012, maybe it was aiming too high. This upcoming year, I only need to feel content.



9. WHAT DATE(S) FROM 2013 WILL REMAIN ETCHED UPON YOUR MEMORY, AND WHY?

December 3: I felt the love pouring in from all sides, and I'm not usually fond of birthdays. December 4: horrible day, but an important one because oh. my. God. I'm finally free. June 5, start of something new, leading to great opportunities and relationships. September 26 and October 24, for different reasons but ultimately related to the same person.



The 2 of every month, I think it's pretty obvious why. March 31, my last day at ELLE (almost the end of an era - it's my first job ever, and a great one too). April 18. July 16, start of a new era at a new and completely different company. December 3, again for obvious reasons.



10. WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT OF THE YEAR?

Being at peace with myself. Zzz sounds boring but it's true! If you only knew about my ~inner demons...



Getting out of my comfort zone. Getting recognized for my work in the media industry, by being the first person my mentor thought of to be a features editor on her magazine. Being less hard on myself.



11. WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST FAILURE?

Not sticking to whatever resolution I make. It seems I don't have any willpower and need to be kicked in the butt (literally) to get motivated.



Not writing enough. Not being brave enough to take risks in love (tsaaah, drum rolls here).



12. WHAT WAS THE BEST THING YOU BOUGHT?

The fact I can't remember the best thing I bought says a lot about my spending habits...



Confidence-boosters such as clothes and shoes. (I don't usually pay attention to these things, so it's a huge step up for me)



13. WHAT DID YOU GET REALLY, REALLY, REALLY EXCITED ABOUT?

I'm going to sound like a workaholic, but a lot of it's related to my job. I can say for certain that I'm definitely happier in the second half of the year, simply because I get excited every day - that's how much I love going to work. I didn't feel that Monday was a cursed day. (Then again, I'm in my honeymoon phase...)



PLENTY. Favorite TV shows (Game of Thrones, HIMYM, New Girl, Happy Endings, Modern Family, etc etc), good food, my story in progress, having a date (lol shuddup, just the idea of it makes me excited okay), my best friends getting married, my sister being pregnant and healthy, karaoke (it's fun stuff and therapeutic, okay)



14. WHAT SONG WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU OF 2013?

Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke feat. the much superior Pharrell Williams and T.I.

Get Lucky - Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams

Brave - Sara Bareilles

Heart Attack - Demi Lovato (had this song on repeat for an embarrassingly long time, but only because I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it)

.... all bloody Miley Cyrus songs



Oooh, can I choose three?



1. HEY, I JUST MET YOU - AND THIS IS CRAZY. BUT HERE'S MY NUMBER, SO CALL ME MAYBE?

2. BABY YOU LIGHT UP MY WORLD LIKE NOBOOO~DY ELSE, THE WAY THAT YOU FLIP YOUR HAIR GETS ME OOO~VERWHELMED

3. EEEH~ SEXY LADYYY. OP, OP, OP, OP, OPPA GANGNAM STYLE (seriously, so sick of this song yet I cannot escape)



15. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TV PROGRAM?

Game of Thrones forever and ever amen, The Mindy Project, and Breaking Bad making a late entry - better late than never.



Game of Thrones!!



16. WHAT WAS THE BEST BOOK YOU READ?

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Amazing, amazing stuff.



Just Kids by Patti Smith and Game of Thrones series. But seriously - JUST KIDS! I'm all verklempt from emotion.



17. WHAT WAS YOUR GREATEST MUSICAL DISCOVERY?

Demi Lovato, lmao. I think she has the best voice out of all those Disney munchkins.

Arctic Monkey's AM on.fucking.repeat.



Foster the People and Matt Nathanson.



18. HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL FASHION CONCEPT IN 2013?

Pair everything with sweaters and/or cardigans.



A cross between classic and (trying to be) preppy. I'm a late bloomer for everything - I just recently got into loafers, colorful skinny jeans, printed pants, and anything with cute motifs (stars, animals, dots, you name it). I also dig red a lot this year, so I've purchased a lot of red stuff.



19. WHAT CONCERTS/SHOWS DID YOU GO TO?

Lots more compared to last year: The Kooks along with Radio Dept and Delphic, Mew along with One Republic and Club 8. I love discovering new music along the way.



Foster the People in January and NKOTBSB in June! NO REGRETS MAN, THEY WERE AWESOME. I only wish I could've gone to The Fray concert, thankfully (or not) it got cancelled.



20. WHAT POLITICAL ISSUE STIRRED YOU THE MOST?

Everything to do with Malala Yousafzai. I admire that girl.



Surprisingly, a lot. Governor election, that whole issue with demonstration etc, French and US presidential elections.



21. TELL US A VALUABLE LIFE LESSON YOU LEARNED IN 2013:

Everything is a lot worse in your head.



Be silly every once in a while, it may work wonders.



22. WHAT'S SOMETHING YOU LEARNED ABOUT YOURSELF?

People have this certain perception of me and it seems set in stone. For some reason, since the beginning of the year I keep trying to change it. Maybe it's time to just let it go. (Wow, teenage crisis, much?)



I can be spontaneous (and really, rather reckless) whenever I have my sights set on something. I'm more stubborn than people think I am. I may appear meek and naive, but I have a sharp tongue and there are times when I am not afraid to use it.



Yep, only 22 because I'm a rebel that way. 2014 is going to be much better - that is at least one resolution that I'm going to keep.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment