Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Oven Roasted Prime Rib of Beef

This is a meat lover's post.If eating meat offends you, then please, skip this post.If however, you or someone close to you enjoys a sublime prime cut of beef now and then, this is a post you will want to take a closer look at.



I grew up with some good cooks in my family.My mom and three sisters in particular were the cats meow, in the kitchen.My mom was born into an Amish-Mennonite family and spent her younger years helping to cook for her 10 siblings and certainly a host of other family and church members as well.No doubt, this served her well later in life as she raised 6 kid of her own and assumed the duties of chief domestic engineer on the dairy farm on which I was raised.




Every single day, at one junction or other, there were pies to be made, chickens to be dressed, vegetables to be harvested and canned, and of course "hired men" and family to be fed.Although I don't recall my mom ever making a prime rib - when I think of my dear late sister Ann, many great memories flood my mind, not the least of which was her prime rib.



For years, I would not order this in a restaurant using the rationale that it would be impossible to equal that of my sister's.Over the past few years I have loosened up a bit on that rule, although I've never tasted a prime rib as good as Ann's.



Last year I went on a bit of a prime rib kick of my own.I probably made three of these in as many months.To my delight, I learned that my boys love this and further more, I think I have gotten pretty good at flavoring it.Last weekend, to celebrate the success of our church's fundraiser Viva Italia (covered in several of my previous posts), and in honor of some good friends who were visiting from Wyoming, I put a 12 lb. prime rib in the oven and I don't think there were many hungry people by the end of the evening.



If you want to treat yourself to something special and really delicious, consider putting one of these together.Although you can season a prime rib with anything, I use just three ingredients in my seasoning:Fresh garlic, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper, what could be simpler?When selecting a prime rib, besides choosing how to season it, you also have the option of "bone in" or "bone out."I don't believe there is any difference in the flavor between the two.If you choose bone in, the roast should be placed in the roaster, with bone on the bottom.Whether your roast has a bone or not, it's always nice to lay a few stalk of celery on the bottom of the roaster to allow the meat to rest on.The celery becomes infused with the ensuing juices and really can enhance the au jus for later.



Give this recipe a try, chances are if it is your first time making a prime rib, it will not be your last.



BE SURE AND FOLLOW PLATTER TALK ON FACEBOOK AND NEVER MISSA GREAT RECIPE!



PRIME RIBRecipea Platter Talk Exclusive



INGREDIENTS



* Prime Rib

* 2-3 cloves crushed fresh garlic

* Kosher salt, quantity dependent upon size of prime rib

* Fresh ground pepper corn

* 3-4 celery stalks for bed of roaster (optional)



INSTRUCTIONS



* Apply non-stick treatment to bottom or roaster

* Lay celery on bottom of roaster

* Apply kosher salt to outside of prime rib.

* Next, evenly distribute fresh ground peppercorn.

* Rub fresh garlic throughout surface of prime rib.

* Place meat in roaster or baking dish, bone side down, if bone-in.

* Allow prime rib to set out at room temperature 2-3 hours prior to placing in oven

* Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

* Place (room temperature) prime rib in oven for 20 minutes, uncovered.

* After 20 minutes, reduce heat to 300 degrees F.

* Roast until internal temperature of meat is 120 to 125 degrees F.

* Remove from oven, loosely tent with foil and allow to rest 30 minutes on counter top.This allows for "carry-over" cooking where the rib will continue to cook after removal from oven.

* While carry-over cooking is occurring, into medium size saute pan, drain all thejuice from the roaster except for two tablespoons.

* Over medium low heat, warm the juice and stir in 1 tablespoon flour.Salt and pepper to taste and stir.The au jus will be thin and should remain so as it is not gravy but rather a supplementary condiment to provide flavor, juice, and warmth.



TIPS



* Wondering what size of prime rib to use?Figure on 8 to 12 oz. per serving.This generally allows for plenty plus a little left over.



* Use very generous amount of kosher salt when initially seasoning meat.

* Roaster should not be over sized relative to size of prime rib.Optimally, it should just fit, without touching sides of container.



* The above method and temperature should give you a cut of medium-rare.With prime rib, it is always best to err on the side of rare.If the cuts are too rare for guests, the meat can quickly be finished off in a saute pan, stove top.This is usually possible in a very short period of time, a minute or less over medium high heat.



* Allowing the prime rib to set, loosely tented with foil, is vital for attaining the correct level rareness.Equally important, itallows the juices of the rib to be reabsorbed into the meat, resulting in a succulent and juicy serving of prime rib.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment