Friday, November 29, 2013

Movies for Tweens and Young Teens

When I get together with other mums of tween and young teen girls we sometimes talk about finding movies that are suitable for their age. My kids aren't ready for M rated movies, with some few exceptions. I check out which movies are suitable on imdb website. The parental advisory. section provides details of what happens in the film regarding language, violence, drugs and alcohol and sexual references. I've made a list. These are the films my kids enjoy.



MermaidsMy Family and Other AnimalsSome Like it HotSingin' in the RainCalamity JaneGone With the WindAll About EveNational VelvetRed DogBallet ShoesAnne of Green GablesRamona and BeezusPollyannaLittle WomenThe Parent Trap (1961)Double IndemnityMary PoppinsAnnie


It's a Wonderful Life

Marx Bros movies

These are the films I think I'm ready to show them. Some are suitable for younger viewers, and I'd just forgotten about them. I remember watching some of these with my family, presented by Bill Collins.



It Happened One Night

Holiday Inn To Kill a MockingbirdA Star is Born (1954)Adam's Rib

Woman of the YearPat and MikeBringing Up BabyArsenic and Old LaceBlossoms in the DustMrs MiniverThe Third ManThe 39 StepsThe Miracle WorkerSabrina (1954)

West Side Story Viva Las Vegas

Funny GirlStarstruck2001: A Space OdysseyGirls Just Want to Have FunAmadeusYentlRunning on EmptyLife is BeautifulBend it Like BeckhamThe Man From Snowy RiverMy Brilliant CareerThe Truman ShowNorma RaeThe Secret of Roan Inish A League of Their OwnStranger Than FictionIndiana JonesGhandiMade in DagenhamWadjdaThe Boy in the Striped PyjamasMoonrise KingdomThe HelpDreamgirlsNow You See ItWar HorseMillionsAkeelah and the Bee



If you are looking for ideas you can search by genre and age on the Common Sense Media and Mighty Girl sites.



I have another list of films with more serious or intense themes or scenes that will have to wait until we are all a bit older...



What films do you recommend for tweens and young teens?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment