This is what happens when I go grocery shopping with no real shopping list except "I should make something with shrimp this week because it's on sale."And after having been on vacation for a week in a country that loves fried food, I was in desperate need of greens.
I have no idea what to call this because I just whipped it up and it's so delicious I just had to share it.It's similar to a previous recipe I posted, but I was amazed at myself for how wonderfully this turned out for me just decided to throw in some asparagus and shrimp.
- 1 bunch of chard
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus (thin stalks are best)
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic (depending how big they are and how much you like)
- 1 lb of uncooked shrimp, deveined and shells removed
- 2 TBL of EVOO
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water or vegetable/chicken broth
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- salt to taste
1. Separate the stems from the leaves of the chard.Slice the stems in to 1/4" slices.Roughly chop the leaves.Mince the garlic.Chop the asparagus in to approximately 2inch long sections.
2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.Add garlic and chard stems and saute until soft but before they start to brown.Add the asparagus and chard leaves.Meanwhile, bring the water/broth to boil in a separate pot.Once chard leaves are wilted and asparagus slightly soft (but not mushy), transfer to a large bowl.
3. If there is not much oil left in the pan, add about a TBL more.Add shrimp and saute.Once the water/broth in the pot is boiling, add the couscous and allow to cook.Once the shrimp is almost done, add 1 TBL of lemon juice to the pan and allow it to cook down.Transfer cooked shrimp to bowl.
4.Once the couscous is done, fluff it with a fork.Mix in the remaining 1 TBL of lemon juice.Transfer couscous to bowl and mix everything well.Salt to taste.Add more lemon juice if desired.
I recommend shelling the shrimp first because it takes so long.I did it between steps 1 and 2 but then I lost my cooking momentum... Or you can cook them with shells on, but I hate when 75% of my meal involves shelling shrimp and making a mess while I eat.