Sunday, January 12, 2014

Yes, we are what we eat.

View from the Man Cave. I have attached a video for anyone who might accidentally read this too young to have heard of Alley Oop.



At any rate, I wanted to share a life experience and, perhaps, might explain to my wife, once and for all, why I enjoy dark, intimate spaces. (OK, I can think of a couple of people who might read this and take that wrong.) It is just kind of joke around our house that I am a bit of a "cave man", preferring lower ceilings and less light than is 'normal.'




A couple of weeks ago, I decided to get serious about my eating habits. My two sons spoke glowingly of the Paleo eating plan. (I won't use the word diet, because that word constitutes a short term solution in most minds.) It is called other things, e.g. primal, ancestral, etc., and there are varying viewpoints, but in simplest form, it is all about eating naturally, to the extent possible. It is NOT for herbivores. It is the carnivore's dream. Meat. Lots of meat. Don't hold the fat. Don't cook with Canola Oil, use lard or bacon fat. Don't have toast with the bacon and eggs, have some fruit or veggie. Sorry, my Italian friends, but pasta is passe. (sigh) good-bye to ice cream, but HELLO to an all-fruit blended delight. A little honey if you MUST have some sweetener.



Of course, mixed into all of this is the occasional cheat. A beer, a piece of pizza, maybe. My younger son tells me that when he does deviate, it does not sit well with his system.



This is not all about weight loss, although I am down about 8 pounds since I started a couple of weeks ago, as of this writing. It is about HEALTH. We have been told WRONG, I really believe. And, of course, please don't take my word for it check it out for yourself, and there are LOTS of good books about it. One my boys like is "The Paleo Solution, the original diet" by Robb Wolf. He is a biochemist and explains why those rolls, those potato chips, that milk, cereal ..isn't good for you.



I really hope I stay with this eating plan. I believe I will be much healthier for it. And, I don't think it is too late, even for a sexygenarian. (deliberate misspell grammar snobs) For my part, so far, I feel sooooo much better, much more energy, I usually remember where I put things and made it all the way home today without asking for directions. Seriously, I really think (as my oldest son said yesterday) this is the REAL DEAL.



Whether it is weight loss, diabetes, heart health, whateverfarmers probably don't like me for this, butwe are being POISONED on most of the inner aisles of the grocery store and some of the outer aisles. The 'old' low-fat BS your cardiologist may have told you about is very last century.



I am rambling more than I intended, but I am passionate about this. And, if I fall off this bandwagon, I hope somebody will remind me of my words. I do NOT think this is a fad. I think this is finally the TRUTH. There is a lot of money in gluten. There are a lot of cooks who cheat by poisoning us with MSG, tricking our little brains into thinking something tastes better than it does. I don't think I will ever be a Paleo "purist" because I don't think I can afford all grass-fed, no hormones, antibiotics, etc food. And, if you are a hunter wild game is probably the top food on the list. BUT, I hope to be at least 80/20 on this plan, and I won't rant about it, but if anyone is interested in progress, or how it is working, let me know.



My next lipid profile is set in 3 months. If it comes out like I think it will and the triglycerides are down, along with blood sugar, etc., I hope to say buh-bye to some pharmaceuticals.



Do yourself a favor. Check it out. Well, unless you get sickened thinking of eating like I did this morning at Golden Corral, with a HUGE omelet with everything except cheese, a huge slice of succulent ham, some sausage and bacon. Oh, and for dessert a really nice plate of pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries and watermelon.



Thanks to my terrific (and very handsome, according to their wives) sons for turning the old man on to this.



Oh, they are going to hate me for that one.:-)Eat well, my friends.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment