Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's Time! The Boys shared room!

I know.I know.It's been a long time in the making!Pretty much as soon as I had finished (which was just before his 1st birthday), I started thinking about the boys shared room.We live in a 3 bedroom house and we do hope to have another little person to share our lives with, so I knew when that time comes, it will mean the boys sharing a room.



was the start of my childrens' interior design business and whilst it was beautiful back then (and I'm sure people still love the style), I wanted a change and I didn't feel it suited 2 rambunctious little boys!I did consider changing into their room (as it's more a style that would transition well), but was slightly larger and we needed the tiny bit of extra space for the 2 beds.




The room is little .I'm talking about 3 meters x 3 meters so I had to utilise allllllll the space I could.Layout wise, it meant that the only way the room would work, would be having the beds partially in front of the window (which didn't worry me because I didn't really want to do a full wall of decals anyway!.



Working on children's rooms on a daily basis, it was important to me to be able to do something different from what my clients were asking for.To showcase the skills that I do have, have something unique and individual for my boys but also to be able to show my clients something different (I have always liked to do something different to the main crowd - in primary school, all the girls played netball, so I was a marching girl .all the kids barracked for Essendon, so I went for West Coast - you get my drift!).



So my initial thoughts were black and white (not a whole heap around when I started planning it!), something geometric, something cool ..I had just started my account when I came across this image by and I think it all just clicked from there!



So I had the basis of the design in my head (did I do a design board you ask .no, I didn't!) now the planning started!The beds were all important.I'm tall, my husband is tall .my boys will be tall.And whilst I don't expect them to have these beds for endless years, I do expect them to have them for maybe 10 years.I wanted something that didn't have a bed end because there is nothing more annoying when I can't flip the ends of my toys over the end of the bed and Hugh and Charles will probably be the same as they grow).Essentially I wanted a bed on legs, which I found at Snooze but didn't end up going for.After thinking about it, we went for a bed and base because we could incorporate a trundle under one of the beds and the other bed has drawers.You know I'm fussy, so it wont surprise you when I nearly cancelled the order because I realised the bed with the trundle would be higher than the bed with the drawersluckily I was able to arrange for that bed to be made 10cm higher!



I then ordered bed heads from .I was tossing up between having a custom one done (with nailheads around the edge) or the Levi.Can I just tell you how fab Andy & Belle are?I had another slight panic attack when I realised that as it was, the roman blind in the room wouldn't go down!Andy was sensational and worked out a solution that would make it happen!



I wanted to make sure the room wasn't too cool (colour wise) and wanted to add some texture by adding in some timber finishes.I realllly wanted , but I knew my hubby wouldn't have it (1 I probably could have gotten through the keeper, but 2 would have pushed the budget a bit much!).So I added in timber via the floating shelves and a frame.



Hugh's favourite colour is Orange so it was a no brainer that, that would be included.Charles doesn't yet have a favourite colour (although he is partial to pink!) so I added in some bright blue for him.



When I design rooms for clients, I ask what are their little ones favourite things .it's so important to include things they love to make it their own room .and for my boys it is tractors.Seriously.OBSESSED.And you know that I would have a coronary if I had to do a tractor themed room, BUT I was able to add little things that incorporated their loves.A couple of little tractor decals down on the skirting board (when I first installed them, Charles just lay on the floor in front of them saying 'twacta') and I also made a print from a photograph of one of our old tractors out at our farm (a 9G Chamberlin if you are interested - go on google it!).



With enough dribble from me, I'll let you gaze through the images!



2 little boys that were sooooo excited when I gave them permission to jump on the beds!



These wooden names were red in their old rooms and just spay painted to use them again.



Seriously love these baskets from.wonderful for shoving all the soft toys in



I love this photo of the boys (taken at our farm) and I wanted to include it on their shelf.



Charles is our cool catseriously, he's going to be our child that will be slipping out the window to go to a night club .our wild child.I had this print done in custom colours to suit.The little tractor on the shelf was Matt's as a child. We are fixing up the old house out at the farm and came across this just recently (underneath some floor boards) so it went on the shelf as well.



This DIY didn't really go to plan .really, it's a bit of an ugly spray finish, but it does the job.



Seriously, how cool are the decals?You might notice that there is a bit of a bow tie/gentleman theme running through a few bits and pieces and that's why I picked the bow tie pattern to do the decals.I did the decals by myself and it really didn't take too long to install.However, it was only upon planning the layout of the decals that I realised that the window isn't centred!Check it out!Damn .should have picked that up on the plans when we built!



With space at a premium, I needed to find a set of drawers to have in the cupboard (and this one is mm perfect).It's not all that pretty, but I know I always like to get the whole picture of a room when I'm checking someone else's out, so thought I would include it!I keep rotation toys and out of season/too big clothes in the black boxes above.And I added another triangle decal with a papercut font cut out of their initials.



I know you all want to know where the linen is from.The doona cover is just a target one (it has black strokes on the front which suits the room, but on the underside (used here) it has a subtle grey pattern throughout it.The blankets are another instagram find (thanks to Sam at !).They are from and are seriously my favourite thing in the room.I'm really happy with the quality (I've since had friends order through them and have found the service a bit slow though).I went for a single bed size and it's not an amount I would normally spend on a blanket, but I think these are going to take the boys through a number of years (I can see them in their room at uni etc!).



My very clever Mum knitted the boys their cushions!



I love the 'gentleman rules' print and it was always going to be included!



This was another DIY.I sing this song to the boys quite a bit and decided to create a fun banner for the robe.



And for those of you wondering 'where's all the toy's?' .well I don't keep any in their room (and never have).



So what do you think?I will do a post in the coming week with lots of links to various pieces but any questions?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment