Monday, July 22, 2013

Vegan Dog Treats

Just wondering...are your dogs vegan?Mine are not.



Even though I am pretty sure I will never buy vegan dog food I have decided two things - I will make vegan dog treats from now on and start sprinkling their dry dog food with vegetable broth (I have always used chicken broth).




The idea of having my dogs go vegan never occurred to me.Ever.But one day my friend referenced my blog on her Facebook page and within that reference she mentioned she wasn't sure if my dogs were vegan.



Really???



I have been thinking about this for the last month (a lot!) which is kind of a good thing because it has temporarily stopped me from thinking about the leather interior in my car which I have learned is not really appropriate.If I was doing this only for my health I wouldn't take these things to heart.BUT (for me) it always goes back to animals.I just don't want to eat them anymore and I don't want to support the meat industry which I guess somehow supports leather interior?UGH.



It has always bugged me that the dog treats I buy (or USED to buy) are called Lamb and Rice Jerky (made with real lamb right on the label).This might sound strange since I used to eat meat almost every day but...I would never eat lamb!I mean who eats lamb? Sounds so sad.Not sure what my logic was behind that since cows and pigs are also adorable???



Anyway, these treats were very easy to make and my dogs LOVED them!A couple of things I should mention - a rolling pin might help, a cookie cutter might help.I did not have either.



I googled vegan dog biscuits and picked this recipe to follow:



http://vegweb.com/recipes/peanut-butter-carrot-puppy-biscuits



The hardest part was shredding the carrots.



They look like people cookies because I didn't have a cute dog bone cookie cutter.



Sophie and Nani waiting for ANOTHER homemade treat.



I am claiming success in the kitchen today based on my dogs wanting seconds!



Tracey
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment