Monday, July 22, 2013

Supplements that work and a few things that are just shit.

Since I was 23 I have loved weight lifting. Over the last 6 years I have trained in plenty of different gyms, using many different supplements and spending an absolute fortune in the process. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that can honestly say they have no regrets is very fortunate. The amount of money I have wasted using shitty products that don't work and time I have spent killing myself on ridiculous exercises are both lost forever. Here is a list of things in the fitness industry that I consider to be good.



ZMA. This stuff is an absolute necessity for anyone that struggles to get a good night's sleep. It also boosts recovery and it's surprisingly inexpensive.




PROTEIN POWDER. Possibly the most obvious, nobody should even think about training without this stuff. Absolutely vital for muscle growth.



THE BIG 4 EXERCISES. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench & Shoulder press. The 4 power exercises that you simply have to do for maximum results. Step away from the pec deck!



CROSSFIT. I spent 6 months at a crossfit gym and in this time I received excellent coaching on a lot of Olympic lifts (including the big 4) which I will value and use in my training for the rest of my life. The workouts are absolutely brutal but are definitely beneficial. Crossfit can appear expensive at first glance but when you take into account that you have a fully qualified coach at every session then it's really not that bad.



OLYMPIC LIFTING SHOES. Absolutely fantastic for squatting and a lot safer as well.



CHALK. Best grip aid there is.



These are some of the many things that I wish I would have been using at the beginning. All of these would be fantastic for anyone wanting to get stronger and healthier. The following is my list of shit that I have wasted money on & stuff that's a total waste of time in my opinion.



PRE-WORKOUT FORMULAS, I used this stuff for years and looking back I don't think it made much of a difference for the hundreds if not thousands of pounds I spent on this junk. It can give you a little boost when you're at your worst but if your sleeping and eating well you should never really need it.



BODYBUILDING MAGAZINES. Owned by supplement companies and packed full of lies, pointless exercises and hidden marketing techniques. If I could get just EUR1 back for every one of these things I've bought over the years Fuck.



LIFTING STRAPS. These things will make your naturally grip extremely weak. Avoid at all costs.



MACHINES. Use of anything that doesn't move freely should be minimal. i.e Leg press. Absolutely no pec decks!



There are many more but I could be here all night. Last but not least here is my list of things that in my opinion should never happen in gyms.



No curling in the squat rack-if you do this you are a moron, may a plague of locusts invade your home.



No spitting in the showers- Seriously this is fucking disgusting.



Wearing sandals or pumps-Get out.



Throwing weights around and shouting your head off-Just. Go. Now.



If people want your opinion let them ask. Otherwise just mind your own business.



As always. Thanks for reading.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment